Tuesday, September 15, 2009

6 Things to do to Prepare for Your Parent's Death

When my parents became ill, I was not prepared to be a caregiver, much less prepared for their deaths. It seemed that their health deteriorated so quickly that I didn't have time to adjust or plan or strategize. I just had to handle the situation the best way I could.

I recommend the following list of things to do for those who are facing their parents dying:

-Learn as much as possible about your parent's disease
-Appreciate every day spent with your parent
-Journal or record special moments with your parents
-Understand that your parent is not the same person who raised you
-Accept your new role in the family dynamics
-Ask for help from your family and friends

I'm not saying this list is all you have to do to prepare for your parent's death. The list is a start to assist you in beginning your journey to accepting the inevitable.

5 comments:

  1. Annette,

    Thank you for the lovely post - please visit Carebuzz on Twitter starting next week when I do a series on Grief and Loss. The announcement is here http://carebuzz.com/grief-and-loss-series/.

    BTW, I added this blog to our Carebuzz site.

    My best,

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carol,

    Thank you for your notice on the Grief and Loss series. I look forward to reading it.

    Best regards,
    Annette

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your post Annette. The list makes sense. It's very important to learn every detail about the disease your family members or beloved ones are affected of. A good site to search for rare diseases is www.checkorphan.org , you might be interested.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emel,
    Thank you for your comment and I will visit the website you recommended.

    Annette

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, I popped in from Boomers and Seniors:News You Can Use. Great article. These are all important, yet difficult, things to do. You aren't kidding about the change in family dynamics! And asking for help can be so hard for many of us, yet it is so important, as much for others to feel included as for us to get the help we may desperately need! Thanks for these great reminders! :)

    ReplyDelete