Monday, October 19, 2009

What would my deceased parents say?

This is a question that was posed to me by a writer who was interviewing me. I answered that I hoped they would tell me that they were proud of how I've handled their loss.

As I continued to think about the question, it occurred to me that my story of my loss was about demonstrating my love for them and it was about:

1) Honoring their memory by telling my story
2) Confirming to myself that I did everything I could for my parents while they were alive
3) Sharing my story to help others
4) Knowing that they would be proud of me

If they came back for a day, I would share with them how painful it was for me to lose them. But through this pain, I found a way to help myself by writing and speaking about my life with them. I would tell them how I discovered what extraordinary people they were and that this fact needed to be shared with the world. My relationship with my parents was special. I didn’t know how special until I began speaking with people about their relationship with their parents.

I also would tell them that their legacy will continue through my writing and speaking about my memories. I would assure them that they would not be forgotten.
Then I would be anxious to hear what they would say.

1 comment:

  1. What would my deceased Mom and Dad say? I have so many dreams about them and my cat, Hanna, who too has passed. It's like they are still talking to me. I've had some very interesting dreams.

    It's my hope that they be remembered.. my fear is that they will forget me.

    Thank you for sharing.

    Carol Marak
    Carebuzz

    ReplyDelete