Sunday, February 20, 2011

Four Year Anniversary of being an orphan

On February 22 it will be four years since my father's death and the first time I felt like an orphan. It's so odd because at times it seems like it was just yesterday that I attended his funeral (so vivid still in my mind) and at other times it seems so long ago.

I think about him every day and he remains a strong influence on how I live my life. He taught me so many things. I have my fond memories to keep his memory alive.

Unfortunately, most of us don't realize how much our parents give us until after they are gone. For those of you baby boomers who are lucky enough to have their parents alive, be grateful and treasure your time with them. I understand it is at times difficult to deal with parents who are experiencing dementia, ill health and/or depression. Look for support from friends, relatives or organizations to help you manage this challenging time in your life. I have recommended internet sites at the bottom of this blog.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the reminder that our parents are just precious to us. Even when times are tough, every day is truly a gift. I just visited my parents and I really can't bear the thought of them not always being there....ready to answer my phone call or ready to visit at the kitchen table. Love is bittersweet. Thanks for this heartfelt post.
    Beth Sanders
    LifeBio.com

    ReplyDelete