Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Ways to honor your parent's legacy

I want to continue my family’s legacy, to honor my parents and the lives they lead. In order to do this, it is important to keep their memory alive.

Here are a few suggestions to honor your parent's legacy:

o Maintain an intergenerational link. Your children should hear stories about their grandparents and great-grandparents. They should experience the food of their ancestors. You should share pictures from the past. You should discuss how their ancestors arrived in this country
o Record an oral history of your family and provide it to your children
o Think about a saying or advice your parents once gave you and share it with your children or your family
o Carry a memento of your parent(s). This will keep your loved one close to your heart

I feel it is my responsibility, being the eldest in my family, to make sure the generational link is never severed.

No comments:

Post a Comment